This page list the growing number of links that we have used. Hopefully they’ll be help to others as well. If you know of any other good ones, please let us know.
- NOAA Weather Prediction Center
- Aviation Weather Centre
- US National Weather Service (NWS)
- NWS Marine Offshore Text Forecast
- NOAA Offshore Waters Forecast
- Tropical Tidbits – Very good site for daily GFS, and especially useful during hurricane season
- Mike’s Weather Page – Comprehensive site that is a portal to a number of data sources
- Environment Canada Weather
- Caribbean Satellite Loop
- Boating and Yachting Resource Guide. A very useful site with many publications from many sources.
- Noonsite.com aims to provide a one-stop website on all matters of interest to sailors, with local sailor-supplied info from around the world.
- BYOB – Bring Your Own Boat. Site about cruising The Great Loop and more.
- Seven Seas Cruising Association. The Seven Seas Cruising Association is the oldest and largest worldwide organization supporting the liveaboard cruising lifestyle.
- World Cruising And Sailing Wiki. Very comprehensive wiki site that is constantly being updated by fellow members.
- Captain John’s Skipper Tips. We have not yet committed to his paid subscription service, but subscribe to his free newsletter. Lots of good info.
- Cruising Compass. The weekly journal from Blue Water Sailing.
- The Frugal Mariner. Susan and Larry MacDonald’s “Cruising on a Budget.”
- Active Captain. Likely the most popular user-updateable database out there.
- Yacht Survey Online. Lots of good information here.
- The Boat Galley. Don’t let the name fool you. One of the best overall general info sites out there.
- Distant Shores. The TV show that got us interested in cruising, from fellow Canadians Paul and Sheryl Shard.
- Zero To Cruising. Another couple we found early on, Mike and Rebecca Sweeney from Kingston ON.
- Gone With The Wynns. Jason and Nikki trade in their RV to go sailing.
- Waterborne. Started life as Young & Salty. Focused on the “younger” 20-40 generation’s perspective.
- Sailing La Vagabonde. Two Aussies sailing around the world.
- SV Delos. Probably the best known YouTube sailing channel out there.
- Women And Cruising. Dedicated to helping women, but don’t be too proud to visit if you’re a guy. A great deal of information here.
- SV Fluenta. Max and Liz Shaw from Halifax NS.
- Estrellita 5.10b. Livia and Carol out of Vancouver Island BC.
- Cygnus III. Well made, slightly irreverent site by Mark & Angelina Roope.
- SV Two Fish. A well made and comprehensive site from Jason and Gail on their Antares 44i.
- Royal Yachting Association
- Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons
- Canadian Yachting Association
- US Power Squadrons
- American Sailing Association
- Canadian Hydrographic Service
- Transport Canada Certification
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Transport Canada Marine Safety Program
- Canadian Coast Guard
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Publications
- US Coast Guard
- Navigation Rules Online. Department of Homeland Security and USCG Navigation Center Website.
- NOAA Office of Coast Survey. Free Coast Pilot Downloads.
- International Maritime Organization page on COLREGS.
- USCG Navigation Rules. Includes COLREGS and diagrams.
- US Pilot Charts
- Canadian Beacon Registry
- NOAA Beacon Registry. Even if you’re a Canadian (or other nationality) and you bought your beacon in the US, register it here.
- Canadian Safe Boating Council. Organized in 1991 to improve communications regarding safe boating issues between government departments and agencies servicing recreational boaters’ interests and private companies and organizations in the recreational boating field
- US National Safe Boating Council. Their mission is to be the foremost coalition to advance and promote a safer recreational boating experience through education, outreach and training
- Boating Safety Resource Centre. US Coast Guard Boating Safety Division.
- SARSAT. Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking
- EPIRB. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon
- Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) Piracy Information.
- Caribbean Safety and Security Net. This safety and security voice net began in 1996 by Frank Zachar on Vagabond Tiger. Now online and an indispensable resource with their Alert Service .